My Small Adventure.........The Monument of faith


Me in Nakhuda Mosque during MySmall Adventure...........

In this part of my small adventure I'll take you too places you have never set your foot ever at least I had not before........This time it is the Nakuda Mosque in Chitpur road, near zakariya street,Kolkata.....hold on I know what you are thinking...how could girls be allowed inside a mosque.....
The entrance
We all do not this clearly that anyone and everyone is welcomed in a mosque till we enter and follow the rules with respect...it was my first time inside a mosque...as I knew before that women were not allowed to enter...but previously on my trip to Delhi, I had entered the Jama Masjid and was mesmerized by its largeness and beauty and more importantly the peace it gave me within...the place of prayer...it felt so amazing to see thousands of prayer givers on Friday offering Namaz together..There I had come to know that in Jama Masjid, a separate place is given to the women to offer Friday prayers with the men....so the Muslim women went to the Masjid every Friday along with the men and in their separate chambers offered prayer...So The Nakhuda Mosque which is considered the Bari Masjid or the biggest and most respectable Mosques in Kolkata was breath taking experience in itself.......
                             

Inside the mosque
  The moment I stood at the entrance I could see huge Mosque door...it was just beautiful...so intricately carved were the designs and each portion reminded me about our Mughal rulers and their love for art..such was the aura the monument of faith had on me.The mosque was built as an imitation of the mausoleum of  Emperor Akbar,Agra,Sikandrabad.

The Imam & Khatib,Md Shaquib Quasim or the priest of the Mosque who holds the highest position in the mosque and is respected and loved by all was kind enough to tell me about the Mosque's history and purpose of building it.
The place for Wazo...water fountain
The foundation stone was laid on 11 September 1926. The total cost incurred for the construction was 1,500,000 Indian rupees in 1926.The mosque's prayer hall has a capacity of 10,000.
The masjid has three domes and two minarets which are 151 feet high. There are an additional 25 smaller minarets which range from 100 feet to 117 feet high.

The sky view outside the mosque
The gateway is an ersat,a kind of replica of the Buland Darwaza in Fatehpur Sikri and I had happened to have visited Fatehpur Sikri myself and seen the Bulan Darwaza in person.It was many years back and the unique thing was that the backside of the Buland darwaza had a huge plot of land which actually was used in the Film Mughl-e-azam by the director for the war shoot.... interesting


Inside the mosque beautiful cold marvel welcomes you....I went straight towards the stairs to the top most part of the mosque and from there I saw the beautiful city of Kolkata outside....it was a breathtaking view and so peaceful....the mosque is adorned with a water sprinkler which is surrounded by fishes...from the top the sky just looked heavenly......each floor of the mosque was so quite and yet spoke of so much past glory and believes.....a place to unite with God....the dome of the mosque was a unique combination of style and colours...the smell of fresh water and Atar, a non alcoholic perfume which Muslims use made the environment of the mosque more enchanting.....At the end of the trip It felt worth it...I had spent my entire childhood in Kolkata but there are so many unseen places which I had never imagined to explore...until I decided that I had too....for the sake of adventure...for the sake of you,my readers....
P.S.....it was the best evening I had.Stay tuned for more of My small Adventures













     

Comments

  1. good to read this post and know that nobody objected to you inside the mosque...that fountain looks so beautiful and the detailed artwork- WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you liked it also:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the photos are really nice and your impression of the place excited me to visit this heritage place :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. to many things to says.
    1st good job. hi 5.
    2nd i stay near by only.
    & most of all thank u so very much for sharing all the information which I my self was not aware of few facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome...sarwar:)
      There are places we still dont know how beautiful they are or what mysteries they can unfold till we search for it....I have many more experiences to share...hoep everyone likes it;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nameless Artist

Shadi ka season.........