The flavor of Kolkata Streets

                               The flavor of Kolkata Streets


The Street singers........or the street Instruments...What can it be called? The Joy of Life.
                    (The Baagel is this particular instrument which this man is playing.Photo courtesy: Google)


At this age of I pods,tablets, music phones and what not....I found this very interesting street player last week when I was out alone enjoying the rains and having hot Gulab jamuns and coffee.Even though I tried I could not make him stop to ask where did he live and where did he made those.But he told me that this particular instrument was called a Baagel.I bought one from him though I could not play it as my father had brought me this when I was a child.This is an integral part of  Bengal folk music form and you can get hold of this particular instrument in  Monsoon Mela's or Puja Mela's.It is usually made of three strings and it has a bow to compose tune from it.I think its part of the Ek tara and Do tara family of instruments but this particular one is made for the kids....sort of a mini violin.India being so rich in culture and folk art forms and music,each state is filled with this sort of magic and rich heritage.
                  It was a unique moment when Kolkata was soaked in rain and I heard this music...when people are busy and hardly have time to notice I always get excited to notice such things.What was unique about the whole experience that I was left so touched.We hardly get to hear such artists live in city streets,in the urban areas of Bengal its common but in Kolkata its not.The way they so beautifully play the tunes.The tunes have such melancholic notes to it.So I was happy to have recorded it and bring it to my readers.I hope you too have such unique experiences to share.
Sufia Khatoon
(Sorry I tried my best but the video is not supporting.You can go to my link on Facebook here and see the video.                  
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3330848322801


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nameless Artist

Shadi ka season.........